How to Change Your Negative Emotions in Minutes.
All those emotions labeled as negative as called so for a reason. They have a negative impact on our health and relationships. Since they are symptoms of unmet needs, they aren’t meant to be suppressed; they are meant to be understood.
Let’s say someone said or did something that upset you, or your thoughts lead you to feeling bad. There is a point, when you can choose to fuel the energy draining feelings or to feel better. Not easy… but really it’s a matter of making the decision and choosing what is better for you. Not easy… but this is the way of master of your mind and emotions, vs being their slave. Look at this as a way to grow and a constructive form of control – is there anything else – except our mind / emotions – that we can truly control, being free / letting others be free at the same time?
So take any feeling that makes you feel bad: jealousy, anger, anxiety, feeling overly competitive or not good enough, inferior or superior… any feeling that creates unwanted physical reaction, and take control. Notice:
1. You ARE ABLE to make an observation: this doesn’t feel good; identify the source of frustration; change your circumstances if possible. Later, when you feel better, try to understand why you felt this way.
Decide that you really prefer peace instead of this.
2. You ARE in control of what you think. Direct your thoughts to something that will calm you. Center yourself. Focus on this moment.
3. You ARE in control of what you do. Taking in a deep, slow inhale and exhale naturally will help you release the tension. Straighten your back, relax your shoulders- that will make you feel in control and more confident to handle it all the right way.
Few minutes of light exercises or some yoga positions – that anyone can do – will help to elevate your spirit. Even if you are not into yoga, once you align movement with breath – there is no way to stay in the negative state of mind.
4. You CAN do something for your senses. If possible play music that relaxes you. Step outside, walk barefoot on the grass, and why not use a few drops of lavender, bergamot or chamomile essential oil.
5. You CAN set an intention for the rest of your day. Not only imagine how you want to feel for the rest of the day but also state it verbally either in your mind, or write it down.
If you happen to be in a business meeting, and such situation arises, obviously you need to do the work quickly in your mind and you probably will skip yoga…
Notice that though it takes effort it doesn’t take much time to really make a difference in how you feel. Open yourself to the idea that you are more powerful than any negativity. Assume that peace is much better and healthier for you. I challenge you to underestimate the positive power of inner peace and confidence.
A question for you: did you have a situation when you let your negative emotions control you? Where did it lead? Did you lose or gain something as a result? (If it was a revenge – you may probably feel you gained something 🙂
On the other hand – please tell us how do you work constructively thru your negative emotions? Please share in the comments below! Thank you